American Gods

American Gods - Neil Gaiman, George Guidall I really loved this so much! What a brilliant fantasy adventure! The pacing of the story is very leisurely, not rushing to info-dump or over explain anything. Most of the time I had no idea WTF was going on, but that didn't matter at all, because I was enjoying the journey of finding out so much!

I also loved the little side stories about coming to America. They were short but super impactful, and it explained a lot of the story without coming right out and rubbing it in your face. It was rich in history and explained about how Gods from all over came to be in America, a concept which I love!

I'm extremely relieved that it was consistently good all through! So many times I'm reading a book that starts out really, really good and then it just falls flat. Or the plot climax is ridiculous and doesn't make sense. Not the case with American Gods. The plot made complete sense in the context of the story, and the action was exciting throughout. The characters carried the story along almost effortlessly, and they were all likable... even the "bad guys". I can't wait to read more about Mr. Nancy in [book:Anansi Boys|2744]

The narrator also did a great job of cultivating an atmosphere of action, and he did a really good job... However, I was not in a million years expecting a Neil Gaiman to have very explicit sex scenes! When it happened, the narrator got really into it with heavy breathing and almost moaning with ecstasy, which left me feeling extremely uncomfortable and like I just listened to an old guy masturbate!

There was also a lot more swearing than I expected, which brought home the fact that you shouldn't build up an image of someone (an author specifically in this case), after only a few interactions. I've only ever read [book:The Ocean at the End of the Lane|15783514] and [book:Coraline|17061], and unfairly assumed that Mr. Gaiman was a mild mannered, above board, cutesy writer. Not the case! This book was rough and gritty and completely fantastic. I'm sure it'll stay with me for a long, long time...