The Princess Bride: An Illustrated Edition of S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure - William Goldman, Michael Manomivibul The movie was better... :/

Honestly though, the book would have been amazing but for a few things that irritated the living crap out of me...

1. Goldman continuously interrupting the flow with stupid pages on this, that or the other that "explains" a certain bit in the book or just says how he "cut 78 pages of packing out"... I can appreciate what he's trying to do with this kind of story but FFS... I don't care if you imagine that you cut out 700 pages on the proper etiquette to use the toilet in Florin! Stop interrupting the actual story with your egotistical monologuing! And if you're going to tell me you cut out backstory (like how Westley became the "farm boy") that's just going to piss me off because I'd actually want to read that!

2. The sexism in this book was crazy! Throughout the whole book Buttercup is only appreciated for her beauty. There is literally nothing else about her that is good. She's portrayed as beautiful and snotty and dull. On the other hand Westley is this amazing specimen of a human being that can do absolutely everything better than anyone else. It's nauseating, but okay whatever. This is obviously a satire on love stories and I can appreciate the effort, so I managed to look past that particular aspect.

3. And this isn't such a big deal... but when you buy an illustrated edition, you expect a fair amount of illustrations... and good ones! The illustrations were okay, but there was no detail or color, and I honestly feel like it was a waste of space really... just my opinion. I would have loved bigger and colorful depictions of the characters and settings! Guess I'll just have to watch the movie again

Having said that, I did love the story (even though it's riddled with cliches and old fashioned ideas and biases). I particularly loved Inigo Montoya, and although the general consensus is that Fezzik is the fan favorite (and I agree that he's awesome), I'd have to throw my lot in with Inigo!