Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - J.K. Rowling, John Kerr Tiffany, Jack Thorne I was unbelievably excited when I heard about this book. Like absolutely crazy excited! Even when I learned that it was not an actual novel, but a screenplay, I was still excited, though I tamped down the excitement a bit. I knew the chances of it being as good as the original was slight, but I was so desperate for more Harry that there wasn't even a small chance of not reading it... but I guess things end for a reason.

My opinion of The Cursed Child is that it reads like fan fiction. Which is not necessarily bad, but damnit, I expected more! I'm not sure how much J.K. Rowling was involved with this, but she sanctioned it and it has her name on the cover so was it so wrong to expect the quality of storytelling we're used to? Even though it's in an unfamiliar format?

The storyline itself was littered with hail Mary's and nonsensical plot points. Continuity and Canon seems to be only used as gentle suggestions, which was really irritating to me and really not something you'd expect from Rowling. Honestly, I've read better fan fiction...

At the end of the day though, it's Harry Potter and it's an official adventure and I'm still glad I read it... Even if it just made me feel like rereading the originals to preserve it's memory.