Uprooted

Uprooted - Naomi Novik There was so much happening in this book that I feel I'll only really be able to understand everything if I read it again. I had me hooked from the very first chapter, and although there were stumbling blocks, it had me enthralled until the last page! I really loved the story, and there was so much excitement and magic that the fantasy nerd in me was in heaven the whole time.

I did have a couple of slight issues though, mostly with the characters and the writing. Nothing huge that I couldn't easily ignore, but I just thought that the characters could have been fleshed out more, and the writing was sometimes a little choppy so that I'd find myself having to read a whole paragraph again to make sense of it. I also didn't really appreciate the fact that the main character is such a strong woman, but she lets an asshole of a man insult her constantly and then falls in love with him. It's such a Beauty and the Beast trope, but in this case the "beast" doesn't ever reform and he still insults her to the last. But women will be women, believing that these kinds of men are just misunderstood and can be "fixed". sigh

The plot was amazing though, and I loved the fact that even though it's YA, the author doesn't sugarcoat things. The battles are brutal and you have no vague notion of the costs, you are right there in the middle while heads are flying and you see every single penny paid. It's actually surprising that Agniezshka was able to go on so long without breaking, and was still able to keep hold of herself. But she's the main character for a reason, and at the end of the day, she was really the reason everything worked out like it did. I don't know if there's going to be another book, but I felt very satisfied with the way this one ended, and although I might find something when I re-read it, I don't think there are any plot holes that would necessitate another one... even though I would love to read more about this world!

All in all I guess there's much that can be said against this book, but it's fantasy through and through, and if you can't read fantasy with an open mind, you have no business reading it anyway. Therefore it definitely deserves a solid 5 stars.