Me Before You

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes Crying

I’m still blubbering from this book, but I’m going to try and give a semi-coherent review…

I loved the writing style of this book, and it had me hooked pretty much from the first page. This is my first [a:Jojo Moyes|281810|Jojo Moyes|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1400624880p2/281810.jpg], and even after everything, I was glad to learn that she’s written a bunch of other books. I can’t wait to read more from her!

I still can’t quite put my finger on what about this story had me so enthralled from the beginning. I didn’t read any reviews before starting, and the only thing I had been told when I started reading was that this is a romance. I don’t know what that person was smoking, but this most definitely was not just a “romance”. Sure there was a slight element of that, but it was really so much more than that!

I loved the interaction between Lou and Will... they seemed like real people instead of fantasy characters. They were so real that I feel like I know them, like I could pick them out in the street and like I could go up to them and strike up a conversation with them. Their story spans over about six months, and the progress of their relationship is so clear and realistic that you can’t help but know where it’s going.

I’m trying to think of more to say, but damn, every time I think back on the story I get all choked up. I started crying at about 85% in and it was pretty much constant since then. I couldn’t help myself, and I even got irritated because I had to keep wiping my eyes in order to actually read the next sentence…

I don’t like writers who shamelessly use any tactic in the book to emotionally blackmail you. But when an author can write a compelling and beautifully real story that creeps under your skin and legitimately tugs on your heart strings… just call me a sucker for punishment, because you bet your ass I’m going back for more.