The Traitor Baru Cormorant

The Traitor Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Ok, so here's the thing... I almost gave up on this book a couple of times. It just seemed like it was dragging inexorably, and I didn't feel much of anything for the world the author was busy building or the characters in it... but I kept coming back to the reviews on Goodreads. Most of them were five stars, with bunches of praise. So I preserved, wanting to know why!

And boy did I find out!

They say hindsight is 20/20, and that's certainly the case here. All that worldbuilding and character building that seemed to drag so achingly slow came together in one of the best twist endings I have EVER read! When I eventually cottoned on to what was really going on, I literally had to sit up and gape!

I can't really say much without giving away the plot, but I really, Really, REALLY hope this is a series! I need to know what happened next! And in the end Baru turned into one of my favorite characters... but I also kind of hate her...

Although the overall story deserves 5 stars, I had to remove a star for the initial drag though... surely that could have been avoided...